Director, Commercialization - Transportation
To deploy CI portfolio companies and technologies into industrial sectors leading to measurable and meaningful reduction in carbon emissions. Such opportunities may take one of many forms including, but not limited to: pilots, demonstrations, commercial sales, channel partner development, joint ventures, service platforms, development companies, focused growth initiatives, or new or adjacent investment opportunities. This person will be responsible for developing and maintaining client relationships that lead to adoption of CI’s low-carbon innovations. This senior leadership role will participate in the internal Business Forum and the CI Investment Committees for transportation sector deals. Close coordination with investment teams and CI portfolio appointed board members.
Main responsibilities and accountabilities
- To identify strategic directions, set goals and priorities for his/her area in collaboration and consistency with the Commercialization and Investment teams for both our early stage and growth stage investment strategies.
- Accelerate the growth and GHG impact of the CI portfolio in the transportation sectors.
Provide sectorial commercial understanding to CI and its portfolio companies
- To identify LP and sector decarbonization needs and gaps that can be fulfilled by CI portfolio companies.
- To share market intelligence across the CI team to be used for building the case for future investments.
- To be an ambassador for the company – actively take on speaking engagements, staying in contact with industry partners.
- To promote interdisciplinary collaboration across industries and regions through strategic networking.
- To work across industries, applications, technologies, regions and disciplines to identify key opportunities for commercialization.
- Work with strategy team to refine sector view, and its practical application to support individual portfolio companies.
- Provide market feedback to Investment team for new investments and follow on investments in CI portfolio companies.
Support and drive portfolio, sales marketing, and commercial and impact growth
- Provide strategic and tactical sales and marketing support to focus portfolio companies.
- To use core network to make introductions to co-investors/acquirers for benefit of the investee companies.
- To leverage his/her strong network to be a significant contributor to new commercialization deal flow for CI.
- Identify pilots and projects that can be used to demonstrate technology viability and commercial readiness.
- Identify suitable commercialization and opportunities that have the potential for significant carbon reduction.
Work with Investment team to support CI portfolio long term growth, portfolio management and exit events
- To work closely with the investment team to align commercialization efforts and investments to get the best outcome for CI and for the investees.
- To proactively evaluate and support follow-on investments, as appropriate for transportation sectors.
- To actively work with investee Boards as a Director or Observer as needed.
- To support and ensure good governance and processes for relevant commercialization platforms and investee companies.
- To support successful exits by developing the right connections and opportunities for growth for the portfolio companies.
Work with CI portfolio companies to develop and support their strategies
- Collaborate with CI board members and Portfolio company leadership to advise on strategic direction and focus that to maximise growth, returns and impact by leveraging CI LPs and network.
- Support successful growth of portfolio companies within their beachhead market and subsequent new markets. Where necessary work in collaboration with board member to advise on CI portfolio company course corrections.
Education and Professional Qualifications
- Degree Qualified.
- Strong practical business leadership experience and skills
Additional specialized knowledge and skills:
- Strong track record of performance and commercialisation in climate and industrial sectors.
- Advanced degree, and/or engineering or technical background in relevant discipline is a plus.
Experience and Technical Competencies required
- Successful commercialisation or business development track record in relevant industries.
- Experience of consulting or hands on experience of industrial decarbonization/energy transition in the transportation sector is highly valued.
- Board of directors’ experience or similar senior leadership experience.
- Highly developed leadership skills including prior supervision and mentoring of team members and/or direct reports.
- Demonstrated ability to influence business strategy, decisions, and direction within the organisation.
- Strong sense of commerciality and ability to identify key risks and barriers.
Behavioural Competencies and Special Aptitudes
Behavioural Competencies Required:
- Adopting CI’s “one team” approach, working cross-functionally to help us achieve our goals.
- Ability to see opportunities, translate them to strategies and implement.
- Outstanding interpersonal skills and the ability to engage and influence senior executives.
- Excellent organisational skills, including prioritising, forward planning and administration.
- Ability to create a strategic and operational agenda for them and their team.
- Ability to work without supervision and under pressure, intelligently assess and anticipate requirements.
- Able to collaborate with peers and senior/diverse stakeholders and build alignment.
- Ability to lead and manage teams both directly and functionally to create cohesion.
- Demonstrates the highest level of motivation and commitment to the achievement of the business goals within the organisation and is a role model for others.
- Strong commitment to climate impact.
- Highest levels of integrity with a commitment to transparency and teamwork.
- Flexibility and efficiency to ensure the roles and responsibilities are met in a timely and effective manner.
- Ability to judge and maintain confidentiality and exercise discretion on sensitive issues.
Special Aptitudes or Personality Attributes Required: Fluent in English; other languages a plus.
- The position is based in London, UK.
- Eligibility to work in the UK is essential.
- The role will involve domestic and international travel, as required.
- The role may require additional hours to be worked above the normal working hours where necessary to meet business requirements.